Psychotherapy Program (Postgraduate Years 2-5)
The Department of Psychiatry is able to offer all modalities of psychotherapy training to meet newly adopted RCPSC requirements in psychotherapy. Fully certified supervisors provide individual supervision in each school of therapy. Residents commence their psychotherapy training after the first year in a longitudinal manner, from the second to fifth years.
Pre-requisites for Resident Psychotherapy Practice
- Psychotherapy examination based on the review of the fundamental principles of psychotherapy, Introduction to Psychotherapy (Bateman, Brown, and Pedder) and Psychotherapy Training Electronic Resource, the PTeR..
- Self Awareness/Cultural Awareness Workshop
- Case Formulation and Psychotherapy Interviewing
- The Basic and Intermediate CBT courses
- Two-day workshop in Psychodynamic Psychotherapy
- Individual Supportive Psychotherapy Course for PGY 2 residents
- Individual longitudinal CBT, IPT and psychodynamic training under supervision
- DBT, Group Psychotherapy, Motivational Interviewing, Mindfulness, and Relaxation, will be learned and practiced at the working and/or proficiency levels throughout the PGY 3, 4, and 5 years